Having reached the end of this module, it is time for
a small review.
- Biodiversity is a concept that has no general definition.
Usually it is used in a context that stresses the
need for attention on our living environment and the
sustainable use of natural resources.
- Biodiversity can be divided in different types such
as habitat, species and genetic diversity.
- The integrated approach used in coastal zone management
is an adequate method in dealing with the matter of
- The problems and benefits of biodiversity are many.
They focus on the need for sustainable development
and adequate use of coastal resources.
- Loss of biodiversity and biodiversity conservation
are concepts that provide the basis for biodiversity
- The management of biodiversity is a complex matter
that needs the involvement of many different partners
ranging from governmental organisations to private
companies, NGO's and volunteers. This aside, national
and international commitment, legislation and enforcement
offer an essential framework for promoting and maintaining